Sunday, December 20, 2009

EDM #249 - Draw a Coffee Pot


9 in x 12 in Canson 90 lbs watercolor paper, brewed coffee grounds, PITT Pen #175 Dark Sepia
I painted a piece of watercolor paper using the brewed grounds of a French Roast (either Peet's or Starbuck's). I simply took the grounds from the strainer and put them in a paper towel and "painted" the surface of the water color paper. I let it dry a few minutes and then dropped half of the grounds on the paper. I let it dry then wiped the grounds off using a paper towel until no grains of the coffee grounds were left. This made some interesting patterns similar to using salt on watercolor.

I hadn't done cross-hatching in a very long time. I still need practice.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I am loving your painting with coffee experiments and I just know that it must smell divine in that studio or workspace of yours!

DALowe Artist said...

This is a really great drawing and I especially love the coffee stained paper you used - what a great idea! I like the pattern in the upper right corner of the page. Great job!